Friday, November 20, 2009

The Highest Point - Part II- The Centre.

The bees have this way of bumping off you to get a measure of your physical presence. I can't stand it when they do that. It's like a person trying to judge you on the first look. At least in the case of a person, you can be certain (in most cases) that he's not going to uncover his rear on the spur of the moment and jab you with his ass. Bees like to do that. And it hurts.

I stumble across the edge on my knees, taking baby steps towards the center. It's dark already, and I can hear the incessant murmur of people voices at a distance, far below me. Or is it the bees buzzing? I don't really think i care right now. My hand slips as some of the flaky paint falls off. I hang on with my other hand, swallowing my heart back into my chest. God, it feels good to be on the edge. And i'm not even standing up yet.

Moving towards the center, groping over the many layers of slippery paint, i try to maintain three points on contact at all times. That bit of technique usually works, but with the top layer having a mind of its own, i might as well as be delivered directly to the heavens, instead of going down first. I've always believed that this fictional God of ours has an inclination towards optimized solutions. If he's going to be fictional , might as well as make him smart. Can't wait to die and prove all the theists wrong. To hell with God and bees. Where was i in the narrative? Have i died yet?

My trembling hand (i really don't know why i'm trembling, but it's a good feeling) reaches into the cavity at the center of the tank , and I take a minute to compose myself. I'm at the center of the dome. The wind has picked up all of a sudden, as if to convey its displeasure at my audacity. Hey, guess what, no bees at the center. Looks like even they've lost interest. Or maybe they're just bored. I'd be bored if i were a bee. Fly....buzzz....look for predator...no predator....look for predator...no predator.....kiss up to the queen......no predator...wait ,predator!...show him my ass and die. Wait, that dying part is not half bad. But i could give the rest a pass.

My hearts beating a little slower now, and i can see all the water tanks everywhere in kgp. There are 4 of them. I'm on the tallest one. I spread my knees evenly about the peak of the dome, and like a toddler trying to walk, i rise up in all my glory. My knees are a little shaky, but not too much. I balance myself as if standing atop a pole. The back creaks , the hands spread out, and the air really hits you in the face. Wow, i'm standing on the top of the world. Isn't that phrase reserved for Everest conquerors? I don't think somebody on top of the Everest would care about accurate phrasing. Neither do I.

I like this game, it has that fatal fun element. Very rare that one gets to play something like that. I'm in a constant tussle with the gale, trying to stay on my feet. The wind knows that I die as soon as it wins. So do I. Poor thing, it hates to lose, the wind. It destroys cities when it's angry, and decimates civilizations. But on this day, it lets me win, lets me live. I owe it one.

I get back on my knees again. The epinephrine tickles me as i lower myself, or is it the altitude? Time to go back. Something bumps against my face. Bite me already if you have to, darn it ! Damned bees. My fictional God like to tease me with his little toys. I start moving back. Some more plaster falls into the endless expanse below.

No comments:

Post a Comment